Thursday, August 09, 2018

Official Zoester Records Biography for Dan Lange.

I dropped out of the Philadelphia College of Art in the early eighties,  to play guitar and work on mural commissions. My busking career began around this time. Soon I found myself in Shakey Lyman's band "The Boogiemen". Hosting the open mic and jam sessions at Bacchanal around this time gave me needed experience. Later I was a founding member of Tim Pikunas'  now long standing act "The Hired Guns Blues Band"
   In the early nineteen nineties,  I had relocated to London, England where I worked as a solo artist,  busking the underground, Covent Garden and Camden Lock. I hosted the open mic at a Firkin pub, played a three month residency at Bunjies Folk Cellar and gigged regularly at venues  like the Twelve Bar Club.

   A period of travel and adventure landed me in the San Francisco bay area by the turn of the century,  where I formed two different iterations of "The Dan Lange Band", busked a lot more, and began playing Farmers Markets. During these years I worked at Beacham Sound,  providing live audio for events and recording demos for artists while recording my own albums "Please And Thank You" and "Streetwise". One of my tracks was used in the award winning documentary film "Mine". While I lived in California I was fortunate to be picked by  Bread and Roses, who presented my musical performance to halfway houses, hospitals, and other places of healing.

  When we moved to Portland,  Oregon, I set up my own small recording studio. Here I tracked instrumental and vocal talent for educational and corporate training films, as well as voice talent for several advertisements for Thompson Center Arms. I continued to perform at area farmers markets.

   We left the Pacific northwest  for Vermont, where again I brought my music to farmers markets. While in Southern Vermont I participated a number of charitable and community events. I built friendships with local musicians, artists and craftspeople .
    I recorded guitar and mandolin tracks on the album "Cold Chills" by Tommy Scavotto's "John Thomas Band".
   In recent years we've returned to Oregon, where I'm developing recording techniques and creating my long form episodic narrative,  "Dan Lange's Guide To Secret Walks " which will be offered in monthly installments as a release through Zoester Records.
   In addition to vocals, I play slide guitar,  harmonica, detuned mandolin and in truth, I'll mess with anything that has strings, including the longbow and the fishing rod.


No comments: